Weird Animal Facts
Nature is indeed very beautiful, but did you know that the wombats are almost perfectly cube-shaped poop? Or is it that the kiwis are essentially blind and forage mostly by smell? And, believe it or not, axolotls will re-develop missing limbs and even grow new ones! Nature is full of surprises and unusual animal details.
Viralrag has selected some of the more interesting animal details, with which you will undoubtedly blow the minds of your colleagues. Just make sure to recall at least one of them at a time of need. And if you felt that human life was very complicated, then after reviewing these animal facts you might only think otherwise.
1. Pandas don’t have specific sleeping spots; they actually fall asleep wherever they happen to be.
2. Wombats have cube-shaped poope
3. Less than the oceans of the world have been explored. The deepest part remains a mystery to this day.
4. Chickens are the nearest living relatives of the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
5. Many butterflies can drink blood when given the chance.
6. Platypuses swim with their eyes closed.
7. The strike of an eagle can be 2x stronger than a rifle shot.
8. Starlings can imitate words, sometimes better than parrots.
9. Hippos kill more humans than any other mammal per year.
10. Turkeys can reproduce without having sex.
11. Axolotls can regrow lost limbs (and sometimes grow extra ones).
12. The assassin bug, Acanthaspis petax, wears the corpses of ants to confuse predators.
13. Bumblebees have hair on their eyes.
14. A Colossal Squid can grow to the size of a bus.
15. Slow Loris can kill a human via venom transmitted through their saliva, which causes anaphylactic shock.
16. The Red Handfish uses evolved fins to “walk” along the ocean floor.
17. Hagfish absorb the nutrients they need to survive through their skin……while swimming in putrid waters near corpses.
18. Sloths cannot shiver.
19. Emus cannot walk backwards.
20. Male giraffes drink the urine of female giraffes to gauge ideal times for mating.
21. Kiwis are almost completely blind. They forage mainly by smell.
22. Peter’s Elephant Nose Fish often “play” with novel objects that they find.
23. Tinamous sunbathe on one leg.
24. Birds cannot swallow in zero gravity.
25. Christmas tree worms are pretty.
26. Many horses develop “wind sucking,” an injurious habit of breathing in air and swallowing it neurotically.
27. For canned mushrooms according to FDA guidelines, the number of cochineal beetle maggots permitted as artificial colouring is 20.
28. Pyrostremma spinosum (a worm) can grow to lengths of 30 meters.
29. Hippo’s sweat is pink.
30. A group of butterflies is referred to as a flutter.
31. The sperm whale is the loudest animal in the world. Their clicks were measured at 230 dB.
32. Whale milk is 50% fat.
33. In Croatia, scientists have discovered that lampposts are dropping because a chemical in the urine of male dogs is rotting the metal.
34. There are oysters in the Caribbean that can scale trees.
35. The swan has a total of more than 25,000 feathers.
36. The blue whale is the largest of all the whales and is also considered to be the largest mammal ever to exist in the world.
37. Giraffes don’t have vocal cords.
38. Starfish has five eyes, one at the end of each leg.
39. There are about 60 million dogs in the United States.
40. After feeding, the housefly regurgitates its food and eats it again.
41. In just one night, a mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long.
42. A monkey was accused of smoking a cigarette in South Bend back in 1924, and ordered to pay a fine of $25!
43. Flamingos are pink since shrimp is one of their primary food sources.
44. The Mayans and Aztecs symbolised the dog every tenth day, and it was assumed that those born under this sign had extraordinary leadership skills.
45. When a male tiger and a female lion mate make a tigon, a male lion and a female tiger mate make a liger.
46. French poodles did not originate in France – they came from Germany.
47. Goat’s milk is higher in calcium, vitamin A and niacin than cow’s milk.
48. Turkeys have a poor sense of smell, but an excellent sense of taste.
49. Cats can hear ultrasound.
50. Tuna fish can swim 40 miles in a single day.